In addition to the advantages of long shelf-lives that enable long-distance transportation and extended storage, freeze dried food has many other advantages.
- Keep freshness and preserve nutrition. Under low temperature and low pressure conditions, the decomposition or oxidation of some food components can be halted. The process also inhibits microbial growth, thus maintaining the freshness and nutrition of the food.
- Freeze dried food maintains its shape, color and flavor. During the sublimation process, the water is gradually removed from the surface all the way to the center of the food. Despite this, natural pigments and aromas are preserved. Re-hydrated food will taste nearly identical to the original.
- Good rehydration performance. During the sublimation process，sponge-like micropores are formed where the ice crystals previously formed. As a result, when freeze dried foods are immersed in the water, the food can quickly rehydrate be enjoyed as if they were fresh.
- Convenient to eat. Because it has been washed and cut, and the rehydration of the food is very fast, it is very convenient to eat or cook directly.
Almost all water-containing food can be freeze-dried. But for some foods with high sugar content, high colloid content or low eutectic point, it is relatively difficult to be freeze-dried.
Some foods which can be freeze dried are listed below
- Vegetables: Chive, carrot, garlic, onion, ginger, chili, yam, spinach, cauliflower, green beans, edible mushrooms, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, peaches, pears, apricots, red dates, strawberries, bananas, pineapples, cantaloupe, etc.
- Meat: Beef, mutton, pork, chicken, snake meat, soft shelled turtle, etc.
- Aquatic products: Fillets, shrimps, crab meat, shredded cuttlefish, whitebait, etc.
- Convenience foods: seasonings of instant noodle, beef noodle or soup, meatballs, soups, pet food, etc.
- Instant beverages: Coffee, milk, soya bean milk, fruit juice, royal jelly, etc.
- Flavoring: All kinds of spices.
- Medicine: Pilose antler, deer blood, earthworm, scorpion, ginseng root, dangshen, angelica, Chinese rhubarb, etc.
- Biological research: blood, bacteria, arteries, bones, skin, cornea, nerve tissue and various organs dried by vacuum freeze-drying technology can be regenerated by providing water after the long-term preservation, and the physical properties are maintained.
- Others: Unique effects can be observed in the production of aerospace thermal insulating ceramic, preservation of wood and silk products in archaeology, preparation of specimen, preparation of special materials and so on.